Marvellous May at WoW! We've packed this May with tons of offers, competitions and new products! Make sure you don't miss out! - Find out more
Fun Wool Facts
We have 10 fun facts to share with you, how many did you already know? If you have any fun facts of your own, let us know!
- The fleece of sheep has been used to make human clothing since the Stone Age.
- Lamb's Wool was a drink made from apples, sugar, nutmeg and beer drunk on Twelfth Night.
- The fastest recorded time to shear a sheep is 39.31 seconds by Hilton Barrett of Australia.
- Wool is still able to keep you warm even when it gets damp.
- Wool is fire resistant. Nothing is more important to us than your safety!
- Wool is wrinkle resistant. That's ironing one less thing for you to think about.
- Wool can be extended to up to 70% of its natural length and when the tension is released, it returns to its natural length. Now that's durable!
- Wool absorbs and releases water vapour as humidity rises and falls, which is why it works so well as a natural insulator.
- The word jersey originally meant any knitted item make from Jersey wool, especially stockings.
- Under EU rules, a product may be labelled 100% wool or pure wool as long as it contains no more than 5% inadvertent impurities.
Posted29th June 2015
Did you know that people have been making felted yarn balls for years as an eco-friendly alternative to dryer sheets and liquid fabric softener?
Latest in this category
If you're starting to think about what to make over the festive period, we have the perfect colours for your Christmas project.
Due to popular demand we have launched a range of dyed wool locks in 10 different colours along with natural white. Check out the 'Wool Locks' section to see the full range.
Here at World of Wool it's quite obvious that we love wool! From the curly Wensleydale to the proud Blue Faced Leicester, we really do love every breed; but we have to say there is a special place in our hearts for Merino.