13. The purse needs four layers of wool on each side of the resist.
To add the fourth layer to this side of the resist, repeat steps 2–9, with the fibres running west to east (horizontally).
The fourth and final layer to the other side of the resist requires no fringe. Just a layer of wool with the fibres running west to east (horizontally). You will get a tiny bit of ‘overhang’ so just tuck those ends round as you did the fringe.
14. You now have a resist covered on both sides with 4 layers of wool.
15. This step is optional – you can add decoration if you choose. There are many ways to decorate felt and this is just one way.
Pull off a lengthwise, very narrow strip of fibres (in a different colour to that used for the purse) to the length you want. Holding one end, dip it through a saucer of soapy water then lay it onto the purse.
Please note that, for clarity of demonstration, the photo shows a much bigger piece of wool being dipped through the water than you would use for the purse.
This decoration is made from seven strips of white with thinner strips of various colours on top. Place a piece of tutu net over the wool and very carefully draw a wet bar of soap over the top. With the piece of scrunched up bubble-wrap, rub in a gentle circular motion for a minute to set the decoration.
16. This is the next step whether you decorated your purse or not. Cover the purse with a piece of tutu netting and draw a bar of wet soap over the top. Using the scrunched up bubble-wrap, rub it all over in a circular motion for five minutes paying some attention to the edges/sides.
Mop up any excess water with a sponge – as the wool starts to felt it releases some water.
Carefully remove the net, releasing any trapped fibres, then cover with bubble-wrap and flip it over.
17. Repeat step 16 three more times.
Dyed Merino Tops are perfect for hand spinning and felting projects.
We have 100 precision dyed solid colours to choose from.
Dyed Merino Superfine Tops are perfect for hand spinning and felting projects.
We have 10 precision dyed solid colours to choose from.
Blue Face Leicester TopsClick on your choice of colour below